Sunday, September 15, 2013

CRAAP

The acronym CRAAP stands for Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, and Purpose. Using CRAAP on the World Wide Web helps sort out relevant information that we may need among millions of irrelevant mumbo-jumbo. It is common knowledge that when a search string is entered in a search engine thousand or even millions of search results pop up, but how do we narrow down these result using CRAAP?
We’d be exploring two websites, www.justfacts.com and www.factcheck.org. We’d be looking to see if they followed the CRAAP criteria.

C – Currency
The information on this website is not mostly current. That’d mean the site is usually being updated maybe not daily or regularly, but it’s still active. The links are working well without any hassle. I’m not particularly sure I’d want to get information from this site because most of the out dated information doesn’t get updated or I never saw any updated or revised version. The site has a “Just Facts Daily” section that seems misleading because the facts there aren’t daily, more like bimonthly. The organization was formalized in November 2007.

R – Relevance
There seem to be some relevant information on there but none that caught my interest. I’m presently not researching on anything which makes all the fact mostly irrelevant. Some of the facts about a subject is a bit too detailed which is unnecessary and may lead to distortion/confusion in the facts. It might be helpful if the site’s information were concise, simple, and precise.

A – Authority
 Research from Just Facts is a compilation of materials which has been cited by universities, major media outlets, prominent commentators, scholarly journals, and government entities at local, state and national levels as stated in the ‘Who are we” section  in the about us tab.  James D. Agresti and Stephen F. Cardone appear to be the two guys running and calling the shots. I don’t think they’re affiliated to any company or organization. They thrive off donation from loyal audiences. The URL indicates that it’s a company run website.

A – Accuracy
The Information on the website is somewhat accurate. Almost everything has some link to its original source or a citation that shows where it was retrieved from. I don’t have vast knowledge in most of the topic I saw, so I can’t tell as much if all the information were accurate. Proper grammar and spelling is apparent. I crossed checked a few information on the site, and I’m certain all that I check were accurate. I wouldn’t say the site looks unprofessional, but it looks very simple and scanty. Language wasn’t too harsh.


P – Purpose
The founder s of this site aim at providing facts for the general public to make people more aware of the environment they live in. There aren’t noticeable advertising present. They might be trying to impose their conservative views as they said everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don’t think they are trying to create rift among the people. They don’t have a statement of purpose, but a standard of credibility. It defeats the purpose if you have to exclude facts because they don’t meet their standard of credibility.

C- Currency
The information is more recent compared to that on just facts. It seems the site gets updated regularly but not daily. The most recent date it was last updated was September 13. The links on the site are functional, and the site has been in operation since December 2003. I actually found a link that isn’t functional on this site dated back to 2012. That link was supposed to be a reference to a fact. It may be the case that it’s an outdated fact so it was removed.

R- Relevance
Most of the information if not all are important on a political stand point. Information is appropriately detailed with decent depth without boring the readers unlike just facts that has everything in your face. The information provided is necessary and sufficient for any age group except infant. Tags were present on this website compared to none on just facts.

A – Authority
The information on this website are gathered by a group of people listed in the “our staff” tab. These staffs contact information are present for the audiences if they need to ask questions. All the staff’s credential and qualification were presented unlike just facts that had just the president and vice president’s name and credentials. There’s a comprehensive list of those funding or sponsoring the site which I think is great because people like to know how things are run. The URL indicates that it’s a organization run website.

A – Accuracy
The information on this website is accurate to a good extent. I can’t independently verify if it’s accurate in its entirety, but I’d like to believe so because its authority seems to have the credentials needed to report accurate facts. The information does fit well with what I know by watching the news. Citation and references aren’t apparent or obviously listed, but I’m sure if I asked for the reference I’d be given. All the information on this site can be verified by checking other websites like www.cnn.com. The website is of professional standard, looks neat and appealing. There appear to be no obvious bias or conservative views as just facts indicated. The language used is of high quality and not overly harsh or emotional.


P – Purpose
The aim of this website as indicated in their mission statement is to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics, to monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases, and to increase public knowledge and understanding. I don’t think they’re trying to sell anything or advance a particular ideology. This website has a statement of purpose.


In conclusion, both sites have their advantages and disadvantages, but factcheck is a better website with regards to researching politics in my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment